Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dates With My Sons


While I was pregnant with Watson I watched more TV than normal. There was a talk show on that stressed the importance of daddy dates with your daughters. What a sweet time for dads to have with their girls. Most importantly it begins to show little girls at a young age how they are to be treated by boys. So it made me begin to think, "How do little boys train & learn how to treat girls?"

I feel very blessed to have a good husband role model in Chris who shows them by example how to treat me, but I wanted to show them as well. I then vowed to date my son. At age 3, I began to have dates with Watson. We would usually go at lunch at a not so busy time of the day just he and I. There are several things I wanted to make sure to teach: (1) open the door for ladies, (2) pull a ladies chair out for her, (3) sit down after your date, (4) turn all electronic devices off, (5) napkins in lap, (6) conversation etiquette, (7) and lastly the boy must pay!

(Picture of Cash opening the door for me)

Today was an unplanned date with Cash. I had the opportunity to be alone with him so I seized it! He is 4 and I think he really understood the whole date concept today. I have tried a couple of times the past year, and he wasn't quite ready. I think he most valued my 110% attention while at the table. I most valued his sweet smile and our discussion in his deep big boy voice.

Our "dates" have worked out just the way wanted with W. Twice in the past year when something has bothered him he has come to me and asked if we can have "a date." I later understood that this was his way of saying I need some momma time by myself. Both times he was worried about something and our date helped solve the problem. I hope & pray he continues to ask me for "dates" in his life.

I cherish my dates with each of my sons. I hope I am watering lil seeds that grow into good boys to date, and ultimately (sniff, sniff) the best husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment